Fernando Torres is nearing the end of his football career. There have been links to China to see off his professional career after almost three seasons on his return to his boyhood club Atletico Madrid. He has enjoyed an impressive run, starting out at Atleti, and then becoming a legend at Anfield, enjoying some moments with Chelsea and AC Milan before returning to his roots.
Fans of the club would not forget in a hurry the debut goal of the now 34-year old player. El Nino, as he is fondly called, made his debut on May 27, 2001 in the game against Leganes. After stirring up the fans at home, at the Estadio Vicente Calderon, he started his campaign the following week against Albacete in an away game.
He scored so many crucial goals for the club and led the attack line from a tender age. He became the skipper at 19 due to his fine blend of skills. Eventually, he decided to take on a fresh challenge with the move to Liverpool at the age of 23.
From his first game, Anfield loved El Nino. He quickly became a sensation amongst the fans and he was soon anointed a legend. He netted 81 goals in 142 games to earn the tag. However, he left on controversial terms in a move to rivals Chelsea.
He struggled for form at Chelsea. There were a few bright moments such as the famous Champions League goal against archrivals Barcelona. He ran from his own half to beat goalkeeper Victor Valdes in the 2011/12 season and score the eventual goal that sealed the hopes of the Catalan sides hoping for a revival.
When he returned to Atleti in 2015, over 45,000 fans were eager to receive him. The La Liga would remember him for his flying volley spectacular goal against Real Betis. That goal remains one of the best in Torres’ illustrious and goal-laden career. El Nino had has a good one!
Fernando Torres has hinted that he could retire at Atletico Madrid, the boyhood club where it all began.
“This is where I feel genuinely happy. I am at home,” the player revealed recently. El Nino has seen a lot, playing in Spain before moving out to prove himself in England. He scored 30 goals in his first season at Anfield and is the fastest player to net 50 times in the rich history of The Reds
. He broke the record when he moved to Chelsea but struggled to hit the figures expected as his confidence reach all-time low.
Torres has enjoyed cult followership, success and failures. He might not have won as much titles but he played at the highest levels including winning the 2012 Champions League against Bayern Munich in their backyard.
The Rojiblancos man was a top figure at Vicente Calderon before moving out. He returned to wide acclaim and even now at Estadio Wanda Metropolitano, he is enjoying the twilight of his illustrious career. His Chelsea and AC Milan stay were terrible for him but overall he has enjoyed a brilliant career. Continue reading FERNANDO TORRES COULD RETIRE AT ATLETICO
Atletico Madrid striker Fernando Torres said that he is excited about the new season and he feels that his club can achieve great things.
He said that the team has demonstrated in the last couple of seasons that they can fight with the best teams in Europe and that they compete for every trophy.
Fernando Torres is expecting more of the same this season and believes that this could be an interesting season. He said that this is the main reason why he has agreed for another year on his contract with Atletico Madrid. He said that this is the best place that he has ever played and feels motivated every time he wears his team kit.
Torres said that Atletico Madrid is an incredible club and that they have wonderful support. He said that there are some good players coming through the youth team and this will ensure that the team remains competitive for years to come.
He said that the only disappointment had been the fact that they have been banned from recruiting new players this season and this will prevent them from strengthening further. Indeed it was reported that new Arsenal player Alexandre Lacazette might have signed for Atletico Madrid if there were no transfer ban. Continue reading Torres excited for the new season
Steven Gerrard has recently confirmed his decision to hang up his boots and retire from the world of football as an actual player.
The Englishman is now working as the head coach of Liverpool’s youth academy.
Fernando Torres and Steven Gerrard played alongside each other from 2007 until 2010 and the Spanish attacker Torres has voiced his thoughts as well as dream of being able to get in a pitch and play with the recent retiree Steven Gerrard who he considers to be as the absolute best teammate that he has ever had.
“He is everything I need on the pitch in one player. I was a big fan of Stevie before I was a Liverpool player, everybody is but playing with him was much better than what I was expecting. It was amazing; he is by far the best player I have played with. I would pay to play with him again. I felt so sorry for Stevie because we didn’t have many chances to win the Premier League, and Liverpool was so close in 2014 after so many years,” Torres said. Continue reading Steven Gerrard is the best player that Fernando Torres has played with
Fernando Torres is set to make a return to the Atletico Madrid set-up after a head injury he sustained in a La Liga clash.
The Spain international lost consciousness when he clashed with Deportivo La Coruna player Alex Bergantinos. He had to be hospitalized, with an ambulance picking him up from the stadium.
Torres was lucky to escape without any serious injuries to the head or neck.
“He is in the recovery process and we imagine that for Wednesday he will be available,” Coach Diego Simeone said ahead of the clash with Bayer Leverkusen in the return leg of the Champions League.
The former Liverpool and Chelsea star was not in action during the trip to Granada. However, his former clubs showed support for him. Liverpool FC official Twitter account posted: “We wish you a speedy recovery, @Torres” while Chelsea’s read: “Thoughts tonight are also with @Torres. Get well soon Nando, from everyone at Stamford Bridge,” with a picture of the player attached. Continue reading TORRES RETURNS AFTER HEAD INJURY
Fernando Torres seems ready to conclude his football career at the end of this season as Atletico Madrid has already made a decision against giving the former Chelsea striker another offer.
The Spaniard striker is serving his loan term in the La Liga team, Atletico Madrid, from Milan in Italian Serie A, an 18-month deal that is expected to expire along with his contract at San Siro in June next year.
Assumption has it that the Spanish side would like to pick him up, but due to FIFA’s transfer ban expected to be in force for the summer window, the manager Diego Simeone has been forced to take a decision on the striker’s future.
The 46-year old coach would have decided to buy Torres from Milan in summer, but in reaction to the former Spain international’s performance that is not up to the expectation, inspite of the Club’s £60million spent on strikers last summer, there were questions on either he will stay or leave. Continue reading TORRES FACES BLEAK FUTURE AT ATLETICO MADRID
Fernando Torres has branded his teammate at Atletico Madrid, Jan Oblak, as the best goalkeeper in the world.
One of the world’s most expensive teenage goalkeepers,Oblak was signed from Portuguese outfit Benfica in 2014 for a sum of £ 12 million. Spain had never before seen this sum of money being splashed out on a young goalkeeper as Oblak, but Atletico manager Diego Simeone was aware that his team needed to replace Thibaut Courtois who was returning to Chelsea after the end of his loan spell.Oblak has been growing as a player in the last two years.
His performances in the Champions League have attracted a lot of attention and Atletico are yet to concede a goal in the three group matches so far. Ahead of the trip to face the Russian outfit Rostov, Fernando Torres shared a picture on his Instagram account claiming to be ready for the game with the best goalkeeper in the world. Still only 23 years of age, the goalkeeper is only expected to get better as he hit his peak. Just as in the Champions League, the team also has an excellent record in the Spanish league after having conceded only four goals in the opening nine games. Continue reading Fernando Torres Brands Oblak as the Best Goalkeeper in the World
Antoine Griezmann has revealed that he sought the assurances of manager Diego Simeone before signing a new contract with the club.
Until recently, the players signed a new five-year contract to keep him at the club at least this season. There are swirling transfer rumours surrounding the Frenchman, who has scored an astonishing 57 goals in 107 appearances for Atletico Madrid. Even though Atletico Madrid were confident that the player be a success when they signed him from Real Sociedad, even manager Simeone would not have expected such a progress from the player
The career of the 25-year-old has had an upward graph with every season and it is widely expected that he would be joining a club like Manchester City or Chelsea. He had been linked with heavily with the two Premier League clubs throughout the summer. Both these clubs would not think twice about paying even £50 million for the player considering his age and his statistics in the last few years. However,Griezmann surprised many by signing this new contract. He says that he sought the assurances that Simeone would remain at the club no matter what. Simeone has been the main reason behind transforming the fortunes at Atletico from a shadow of Real Madrid into two-time Champions League finalists. Continue reading Antoine Griezmann took assurances of manager Diego Simeone
With the new season most players are trading places and signing up for new clubs.
Fernando Torres is also on his way to signing a new contract, but this time he would be extending his contract with his current club, Atletico Madrid. Fernando started off his career with this club before he joined up Liverpool in the year 2007. This year he has signed to a new contract with Atletico Madrid, agreeing to stay on with the club for another year. Being Spanish international player, he is known to be a striker of repute. He has had an illustrious career so far, having been associated with Chelsea and Liverpool clubs before. Today he is 32 years of age. In 2015 he returned to Atletico from AC Milan. The last season that he spent with Atletico was successful, he having scored 12 goals out of 44 games in which he appeared for the club. The club was ultimately beaten in the Champions League finals but the team did make it to the finals where Fernando’s contributions were significant as well.
Continue reading Fernando Renews Contract With Atletico
Fernando Torres has been in the news recently as he signs on a new contract, agreeing to stay on with Atletico Madrid team. Known as El Nino, his return to the team is now official.
Hence, even as the summer starts off, he would be playing for the team and even beyond this season. The rumors had been about this, but it has now become official. Fernando Torres has confirmed the same by signing on a new contract with the club
. The second half of the last season saw him coming back in form. About 32 years of age, the player helped to spearhead the push that the team did for trying to win the title in La Liga. He contributed to about nine goals that he scored for the team during the tournament. He also helped the team to reach the finals in the Champions League last season, which was the second time for the team in a span of three years.
The season did not see the club winning any trophies, but the boardroom decided that the current squad of players is competitive enough and it is definitely a team that needs to be held back from working on the upcoming matches for the new season. Torres is definitely a big part of that decision. He has thus been awarded a new contract to work with.
There were talks about the player being associated with the long distant future of the club, but finally a one year contract has been formed. The final years that Torres had spent at Liverpool were fraught with injuries and poor form. That was the case during the whole period that he was with Chelsea. He has, however, recovered his form as his last appearances have showcased and fans are enthusiastic to see more performances from him in the future.